Pages

11 February 2013

Pitchers and Catchers Report.

Ohh, those simple words.

It's that time of year when, just before being completely encapsulated by icicle and towering snowbanks...

..the clouds break. The sun comes out. Icicles turn to puddles. The salt stains creep up your jeans to your knees, but oh no, you don't care.

Pitchers and catchers reported today, you guys.

This is kind of a big deal.

And what better way to celebrate than with a mondo mailday and discount blaster extravaganza?!

Oh heck yes.

I suppose I'll start with what came first, which was of course, a debilitating trip to the post office. I figured early afternoon would be a premium time, but my favourite cashier was going to lunch and the only ones left was the old guy that loves his job so much and the surly giant with the treacherous neck hair.

Luckily, he weighed maybe one or two of the larger packages and then just priced the rest of them based on that. However, I underestimated my shipping costs, and as I usually charge $2.82 to ship, new price changes and package tracking brings one card up to $3. So I took a hit there on my twelve ebay packets and two three trade packages. So it goes.

As the recent ebay purge drained my top loader supply, I went slumming to the local KMart. Luckily they had some that looked like they had fallen off of a truck and been repackaged, so I grabbed two 25 packs and perused the discount blaster pile. There was a very good selection, including:

  • $5.99 2011 Topps Opening Day
  • $11.99 2011 Topps Series 1 (w/commemorative patch)
  • $11.99 200? Goudey (guarnteed hit + general shittiness)
  • $11.99 2009 UD Piece of History (1 hit)
I ended up grabbing a Series 1 and the Piece of History.

The Piece of History was actually an enjoyable open, resulting in this nice swatch:

 Not terrible at all, with a nice stripe and commemorative of his 2007 no-hitter. However, in typical 2009 Upper Deck fashion, the rest of my decent cards were Yengwes:


...I cannot avoid A-Rod right now. Ugh. This one is numbered /249 and I may put it on ebay, where he is selling surprisingly well right now. Another Yankee hit was a Johnny Damon insert #/149, but we've all seen enough of him.

The 2011 Topps S1 blaster resulted in this:


Yeap. That was the highlight. A card my Mom didn't throw out, but probably begged me to. I don't know if I ever owned the original, and I certainly do not now. If you've got an original to send my way, go ahead and do so. I don't have any Robby Alomar rookies. My manupatch was a 1909 Cleveland Indians of Shin-Soo Choo. Which was nice when I won an auction of it for about $1.50 last fall. So, if you want one...

Anyways, the better schtuff came in the mail upon my return.


This is number 10 in my crusade to get one of every color of every Blue Jay (that I like) in Series 1. This is going to be hell by the time Series 2 and Update are out. Progress, dammit.


I had seen this a few times on the 'bay but never found a reasonable price. $4 was reasonable, and it arrived today. With signature confirmation. Overkill, yes.


Like I mentioned a few days ago, my Carlos Santana collection is coming along nicely.


But he has a lot of catching up to do to ever catch my Arencibia collection numbers.

The previous two cards were from the same auction, in which I absolutely pillaged a seller's 2013 Topps inserts via combined shipping, also landing these four:

...to go along with my own Babe Ruth, Matt Cain, Ryne Sandberg and...ugh, someone else. It's a start.

Like today.

The start of Spring Training. Happy New Year, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment