Pages

07 April 2013

Sunday Starting 10: Want Edition

When I started the Starting 10 series (it might have even been starting nine in its inauguration) I knew that if it were to be a repeated-style post here, I wanted every one to be different. So hopefully it remains that way, with the first one being a recent additions-style, and today being cards I don't have yet, or as we say in the 'sphere, "wants."

Since there are quite a few Nue Jays this year, this wasn't too difficult to put together. SO without further Apu, here's your Toronto Blue Jays starting lineup and some accompanying "want" cards.

Enjoy.

1. Jose Reyes, SS, 2010 Topps Chrome Purple Refractor


A dirty, refractory of the best player on the Blue Jays roster, Jose Reyes. Going for a full 9-slot binder page rainbow of this card. About 2/9 the way through, so far.

2. Rajai Davis, RF, 2009 Upper Deck


Get used to 2009 Upper Deck for this post. Something else just occurred to me on this post - all of the Jays are pictured in another team's uniform, except for JPA - who has spent his whole career with the Jays Azules.

I like Rajai. He's a deceptively great player, killer speed on the bases, sneaky pop, and generally mediocre outfield defense. Ideal fourth outfielder, I think. Provides bench depth with speed and hitting ability, and you could do much worse in regards to pinch-runners.

3. Melky Cabrera, LF, 2011 Topps Sparkly Somethingorother


Kind of hard to find a Melky Cabrera card that I want. Just not that into him as a player, but I like his 2013 Gypsy Queen, although so many other players should have had cards than him and about sixty retired guys.

4. Edwin Encarnacion, 1B, 2009 Topps Heritage


Apparently, it is incredibly difficult to make a good-looking card of Edwin Encarnacion. Seriously. This is the best-looking one. Uggghh.

5. JP Arencibia, DH, 2012 Topps SSSSP (the extra SS is for super-shitty)


Arencibia, however, has a ton of sweet cards. This is my most-wanted right now. It's becoming incredibly hard to find and rarely runs under $15...but it had everything I love: dirt, gear, rookie cup and JP himself.

6. Mark DeRosa, 3B,

Damn, 2009 Upper Deck is magnificent. This is one of the best - and of a player who's signing was very underrated this offseason. Man. What a great card.

7.  Maicer Izturis, 2B, 2009 Upper Deck


Another gorgeous 2009 Upper Deck. Maicer decked out in vintage Angels gear, well-lit with the afternoon California sun, and the perfect full-bleed design of 2009 UD. Wow.

8. Henry Blanco, C, 2011 Topps Cognac Sparkx


When I started writing this, I knew I'd have to find a Blanco, and as he is known so much for his catching defence opposed to his hitting, i figured I would get a tremendous play-at-the-plate or blocking shot, and damn, this one just impressed the hell out of me. 

Then Topps had to throw that huge Diamond Anniversary logo on some fat Reds player's face (did Dusty Baker play a game in 2010??)

Oh an I purchased this $.50 card immediately upon seeing it. So I own it. 

9. Emilio Bonifacio, CF, 2012 Topps


Dirt! Also, Emilio is about 99.87% airborne. Cool card, even though the logos do not match. Emilio has been absolutely horrific so far as a Blue Jay, but I still have faith in him.

10. R.A. Dickey, SP, 1997 Bowman Chrome International


...And today's starter, R.A. Dickey. Hopefully with Blanco behind the plate things will go a bit better this time. Also, with some very awesom Dickey cards coming my way lately, I'll be pleased to show off some very soon. 

1 comment:

  1. That Reyes is a monumental card! The border gives it even more depth!

    ReplyDelete