Pages

22 December 2017

december nue jays

The month started off with some more unlicensed action, as I jumped into 2017 Leaf products to make a play at some Blue Jays 2017 draftees, Nate Pearson and Logan Warmoth. The Pear Son and the War Moth.

These Baby Jays aren't yet in their Blue Jays uniforms yet, despite playing plenty of games as professionals in the organization.

Logan Warmoth is a shortstop and played his college ball as a Tarheel, which with some clever photo editing makes for and easy transitions to a royal blue Jays uniform. Leaf Draft's State Pride inserts are nice and all, but they're a bit lacking in-hand. Plenty of prismatics and space for an auto, but also, just...meh.

Warmoth, though, is my current favorite from the 2017 draft. I have high hopes for him.

I did manage to secure a Pearson in uniform, though, out of 2017 Bowman Draft.


That's a really great debut card, even if there's some Photoshopping going on. Pearson pops 100 on the reg but he'll need some secondary pitches if he wants to pitch in the rotation, which they all do - that's where the money is.

In his first pro season with Rookie (A-) affiliate Vancouver Canadians he did just that, making seven starts and tossing 19+ innings, posting a 0.95 ERA and striking out 24 batters and walking just five.

Speaking of minor leaguers, they've been getting some attention in our little circle of later, with Night Owl securing a complete team set for the 1979 Albuquerque Dukes...and man, it doesn't get much better than that.




The year 2016 was a great year for Bowman as I gradually see more and more of it (as will you in a future post). Here's a Green Conner Greene, numbered to /99. The angle of this shot with the green infield background really works, and I think I landed this one for $5-, so the seller might regret that in about a year and a half.

Greene, like Pearson, has the ability to hit 100 MPH, and he's friends with Charlie Sheen. So there's that.

My best score of the month, however, was a pile of Lourdes Gurriel Jr. cards. Leaf Draft comes into the fold yet again, here, as does something we've seen a few times already on this page.



The base autographs from Leaf Draft this year are quite nice. If Leaf had a license, they would be doing great things and getting much, much more attention. Much of that attention would be focused on their excellence in acetate cards, where Bowman/Topps are doing some mediocre-to-decent work right now as well in the Tek sets.


These also came with the Draft auto above, and I was more interested in these. Somehow I've managed to not get the very base Tek auto until right now. The green parallel, with autograph, is still pretty hot, but this whole package came in, I believe, around $11.

As did this:


Eleven dollarydos is more than I like to ever spend on a single, but I thought that if I really wanted to make a dent in this rainbow, that that was a good price. There's still an orange out there, but it looks awful. The gold isn't magnificent itself, so I think the BURST variation auto is the only one I'll make a significant move at from here on.

Stay tuned to PGS over the next week or so as I finally have my first "vacation" since this time last year, and I have plenty in the pipeline of cardboard goodness. Stay hard.

1 comment:

  1. Nice! Lourdes looks promising. I was hoping the Astros would sign him given that they landed his brother Yuli.

    ReplyDelete