Pages

06 February 2018

a trade! with million cubs project


Usually, I don't do many trade posts. Often, it's because I lack the energy to physically scan, crop and post the images. Other times, it's because ya'll send so many great cards, it's often overwhelming fot his (very) part-time blog.

But when another blogger post their side, I'll often reciprocate. And that's why we're here right now. A few weeks back I started corresponding with A Million Cubs Project. Eager to downsize my collection***, I decided to propose sending Beau a buttload of Cubs that I had no use for, hoping someone might enjoy my excess Sammy Sosa cards. I mean, I sure don't. I didn't intend to get so much in return, but when Beau asked, I answered: "some Blue Jays and (why the hell not) some Expos."

So I guess I am an Expos collector now, as Beau dropped some goodies.

But first, the Blue Jays.


The oldest card in the box was this Damaso Garcia. I had a friend names Damaso in elementary school for about a year before he moved away.

I have no idea what happened to him.

I really like 1981 Donruss. Especially this incredibly mis-cut Garcia. '81 is colorful and simple. These are good things.


Also good is EVERY KELLY GRUBER CARD EVER. Even 1991 Fleer yellowness.

If the 1991 Fleer is too much for you, set your eyes on the gaudiest of all Satdium Club sets, 1997:


I secretly collect Shawn Green, mostly because I'm sad he left Toronto so early for Los Angeles. I should probably be over it by now, but hell, look at that swing.


And look at this 1993 Leaf Studio of Blue Jays legend and World Series MVP Pat Borders. There are few sets as perfect as this one.

Spectrum, from Upper Deck in (inexplicably) multiple years, is not:


But I figured I had to show one shiny card from the Evil Black Blue Jays period. He also happens to be the Greatest Blue Jay of All Time (G-BOAT.) More on him on another day.

I'm not quite ready for that post, yet.

I am, however, ready to start welcoming more Expos into my collection. Beau did a great job facilitating that, including soon to be Hall of Famer, Larry Walker:


Upper Deck ruled the trading card world in the 1990s, and it did so with cards like the Walker's base card above. It's a masterpiece. They also took full advantage of subsets, like the Home Field Advantage card as well.

The trade also included this 1992 Donruss, depicting Walker in his short-term home at first base, getting those powder blues all dirty:


From Walker we move to another beastly Canadian, the pride of New Brunswick, Matt Stairs:


Stairs looks like he's also been rolling around in the dirt. A true ballplayer with light tower power, and inspiration for one of the greatest baseball-player themed shirts in existence:


Of course, we cannot talk Montreal Expos without the greatest to ever wear those powder blues, Rock Raines. There were a few Raines cards in the box, but the following stood out the most.


This is a 1990 Starline was a first for me. Also, I have never, ever seen these. So that's neat.

O-Pee-Chee is still active in Upper Deck hockey's offerings, and they're doing a mighty good job with those set nowadays. That's in direct contrast to the 1980s, when it was mostly a retread of Topps Flagship, like in 1987.


Regardless, any Raines cardboard is fantastic, and when you wood-panel the man, it's even better.

Back to Upper Deck. Part of the reason they dominated the 1990s was great photography on base cards with a simple, yet timeless design.


Both of those characteristics are on display here in this Delino DeShields card. There were three DeShields ones that stuck out, with the highlight being this checklist from the same set:


And illustrated by Vernon Wells, Sr.


Man, I should have actively collected DeShields in the early 1990s. He has some great cards.

We'll end on my favorite set of all time, 1993 Leaf. Despite being a beautiful set on the front, 1993 Leaf has the distinction of being "that set you put in a binder backwards" due to the stunning card backs which feature brilliant photos of the city skylines. Today, we've got John Vander Wal:


Just perfect.

Thanks for the Canadjian cardboard, Beau. And for those of you reading who haven't made it to his website yet, check it out. And be sure to send him your Sammy Sosa cards, even if they're not Cubs. Whoops. 

3 comments:

  1. I took a picture of that exact Matt Stairs card last night to show on my blog in an upcoming post. That's an odd coincidence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That shirt is amazing. Love a good pun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe the Starline cards were from Long John Silver’s, if I remember correctly.

    ReplyDelete